Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Dirty Stroller Blues

Keeping a clean stroller is not one of my strengths. In fact, I would say it's one of my weaknesses.

I remember in my life before children looking at a dirty stroller and making assumptions about the kind of home the child lived in. I went so far as to feel sorry for the child. Poor baby, sitting in a stroller with stains and crumbs and broken toys.

Now I realize that having a dirty stroller comes with the territory, especially with two children. We live in our stroller. It takes us from Point A to Point B without guzzling gas while mama gets some exercise and the kids enjoy the walk. My stroller is filled with graham crackers and their crumbs, spilled milk, dust, books, toys, dirty wipes and clean wipes, sand (and lots of it), empty Starbucks cups, straws, keys, diaper bag, blankets, jackets, lip balm, Goldfish, fruit, and a broken cellular phone. It is our house on wheels.

There was a time when I tried to keep it clean. But the reality is the stroller lives outside. And when we get back from the park or a walk or whatever the first thing on my list is to get the kids INSIDE and then FED and then DOWN FOR A NAP. Always in that order. Then it's my time to clean the kitchen, the bathroom, the living room, etc. from the early morning romp. The last thing I want to do is go back outside and clean the damn stroller.

I still get a touch of embarrassment when we meet someone new who has a clean stroller. But then I realize that strollers are meant to be lived in. It shows that we have a life outside of our house. One that is filled with walks and playdates and park visits. When it is all said and done we'll send the stroller off onto a nice retirement.

One day its job will be over.